Brown Rice Risotto with Wild Mushrooms, Fava Beans, Peas & Bee Pollen
Ingredients for Risotto
2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced
½ cup Shallots, finely chopped
1 cup Whole Grain Brown Rice, uncooked
½ cup HALL “T Bar T Ranch” Sauvignon Blanc
6 cups Vegetable Broth or Stock, more as needed
1 cup Roasted Cashew Cream (recipe below)
1 tbsp Fresh Sage, minced
1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 oz. Dehydrated Wild Mushrooms (such as morel, porcini and oyster mushrooms), rehydrated and coarsely chopped*
½ cup Fresh English Peas, blanched and shocked
½ cup Fresh Fava Beans, blanched and shocked with skins removed
Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Bee Pollen, for garnish
Pea shoots or Micro Greens, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the grapeseed oil, garlic and shallots, and sauté until tender. Add the brown rice and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the wine, and cook until the rice has absorbed the wine completely. Then, add the vegetable broth, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often (about 45 minutes). If needed, add additional vegetable broth until the rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in the roasted cashew cream, rehydrated mushrooms, sage and thyme and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the peas and fava beans, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon the brown rice risotto in a serving bowl and garnish with the bee pollen and pea shoots.
*Strain mushroom soaking liquid and use in place of some of the vegetable broth if desired.
Ingredients for Roasted Cashew Cream
1¼ cups Raw Cashews
3½ cups Water, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the cashews on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Combine the toasted cashews with 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, and then remove from the heat. Allow the cashews to soak for an additional 10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and place them in a blender (a Vitamix® works best) with the remaining 1½ cups of water.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Store cashew cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Cashew cream will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.