Demystifying Wine & Food | Chocolate Pots de Crème
Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free
Serves about 12 4-ounce servings
List of Ingredients
2-13.5 oz. cans coconut milk
¾ cup water
1 Tbsp. agar flakes
12 oz. dark chocolate, preferably 70% cocoa
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Finely chopped toasted nuts* and/or seasonal fresh fruit or compote
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Place the water and agar flakes in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the agar flakes have dissolved, about 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- On low heat, add the chocolate to the reduced coconut milk and stir until the chocolate has melted. Add the agar liquid**, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and pour about 4 ounces portions into ramekins. Cool to room temperature before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating to fully chill and set pot de crème.
- To Serve: Garnish with finely chopped toasted nuts and/or seasonal fresh fruit or compote.
*Toast nuts at 325°F for about 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
**Strain agar liquid through a fine sieve when adding to the chocolate mixture.
Recipe courtesy of Corrie Beezley, Chef and Wine Educator for HALL Wines.