Demystifying Wine & Food | Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak with Red Wine Sauce
Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free
List of Ingredients
1 ½ lb. Flat Iron Steak, cut into 4 equal portions (6 oz. each)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil, divided
3 small shallots, sliced
1 cup dry red wine (such as any of your favorite HALL Cabernet)
½ cup beef broth (gluten-free)
¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Season the steak with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with the thyme.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 Tbsp. of grapeseed oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the steaks and cook until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn each steak, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the steaks to a heated plate, tent with foil, and keep warm.
- Add the remainder of the grapeseed oil and shallots to the pan. Sauté until softened, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add the wine, and bring to a boil, cooking until reduced by half, and stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth and boil until the sauce has thickened. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and whisk in the butter. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Cut each steak against the grain into three slices, and plate, topped with the sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Corrie Beezley, Chef, Wine Educator for HALL Wines.