A Taste of HALL | Grilled NY Strip Steak with Marinades Three Way and Smashed Red Potatoes
9 lb Prime NY Strip Steak, Dry-Aged
1/2 C fish sauce
4 T lime juice
4 T garlic, minced
3 T ginger, peeled and minced
4 T sugar
2 stalks lemongrass, white parts minced finely
1/2 C cilantro, coarsely chopped
4 T canola oil
Latin Citrus Marinade
4 T garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, grilled, de-seeded, minced
2 T ground cumin
2 T ground coriander
1 C orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 T sherry vinegar
2 T cilantro, chopped
2 T Italian parsley, chopped
Coffee/Chocolate Wet Rub
1/2 C coffee grounds
1/2 C chile powder
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C cocoa powder
2 T paprika
1 T garlic powder
1 T dry mustard
1 T allspice
1 T cumin
1 C Jack's Masterpiece, or similar HALL red wine
8 lb red potatoes
1 lb butter
1 lb sour cream
1/2 bunch basil, chiffonade
1/2 bunch sage, chiffonade
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
1. Portion steaks into three equal pieces.
2. Prepare marinade(s). For Orange Mojo, grill or char jalapeno. Add to a hot saute pan with garlic and olive oil. Add spices to sweat. Deglaze pan with orange juice. Add fresh herbs and vinegar. Cool. Combine with meat in a Ziploc bag. For Thai-style, add all ingredients into a Ziploc bag. Add meat. Refrigerate overnight. For Coffee/Chocolate Wet Rub, combine all ingredients. With the paste consistency, rub over meat and place in a Ziploc bag.
3. Remove meats from marinades and wipe off the solids excess, especially with the wet rub.
4. Throw potatoes onto a hot grill. In a pan on the grill, start melting the butter. Eventually, the butter will melt and the milk solids will start to turn brown. When medium brown, remove from the heat and reserve.
5. Meanwhile, place the marinated strip steaks on the oiled grill. Rotate 45-degrees to achieve grill marks. Flip over. Cooking time depends on the size of the steaks. Remove at the desired temperature. Rest for 15 minutes, covered in aluminum foil.
6. Meanwhile, when potatoes are tender, collect into a bowl and mash with browned butter, sour cream, and fresh herbs.
7. After steaks have rested, slice against the grain and serve with smashed potatoes.