Beef and Cabbage with smoked brussel sprouts and pumpernickel toast
Serves 4-6 | Prep Time 45 min. | Cook Time 4-6 hours
This dish goes perfectly with our Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
1 ½ lb. beef brisket, trimmed
½ c. balsamic vinegar
1 T. honey
¼ t. ground clove
¼ t. ground allspice
¼ t. ground fennel
1 t. brown sugar
1 T. salt
½ lb. brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
2 ea. shallots, thinly sliced
1 T. olive oil
2 t. sherry vinegar
Whole grain mustard
- Mix dried spices and salt together and rub into brisket and marinate overnight.
- Reduce balsamic vinegar with honey until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- Slowly roast brisket in a 250˚ oven until tender but not falling apart, approximately 4-6 hours. Every hour, brush with balsamic glaze. Add water to bottom of roasting pan to prevent burning.
- Gently smoke brussel sprouts and shallots over applewood for 20-30 minutes.
- To serve, slice brisket and serve on top of lightly toasted pumpernickel toast and top with whole grain mustard and brussel sprout salad.