Demystifying Wine & Food | Grilled Flatbread with Eggplant Butter, Caramelized Onions, Kale & Spanish Chorizo
Soy, Nut Free
List of Ingredients
For the Eggplant Butter
2 medium eggplants, sliced into ¼ inch planks
1/3 cup grapeseed oil, plus more for brushing on eggplant slices
sea salt as needed
For the Caramelized Onions
3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
2 large onions, thinly slices
For the Kale
1 1/2 lbs. lacinato kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
1-1 lb. fresh pizza dough ball, divided into four pieces
Grapeseed oil, for brushing onto dough
8 oz. Spanish chorizo, casing removed, small diced
Fresh oregano leaves
Grapeseed oil, for garnish
For the eggplant butter:
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Brush each eggplant plank with the oil and season with salt. Place each eggplant plank on the grill for 1-2 minutes, flip and grill for an additional 1-2 minutes or until cooked through and soft.
- Cool grilled eggplant to room temperature, then place in a blender with 1/3 cup grapeseed oil. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning as needed, and set aside until ready to use.
For the caramelized onions:
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-heat.
- Add the onions and toss to coat with the oil. Cook the onions slowly, stirring occasionally, until a deep golden color is reached.
- Season with salt, and set aside until ready to use.
For the kale:
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the kale and sauté until tender, but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
To assemble and serve:
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Roll out each dough ball, by hand or with a rolling pin, to ¼ inch thick oval shape, and brush each side with oil.
- Place on the grill for 1 minute, flip and grill for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from the grill and cool on a rack.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Top each grilled flatbread with a thin layer of eggplant butter, caramelized onions, kale and sprinkle with the chorizo, leaving ½ inch border.
- Bake the flatbread for 5-7 minutes to heat through. Remove from the oven and cut into wedges. Garnish with manchego, oregano leaves and grapeseed oil as desired.
Recipe courtesy of Corrie Beezley, Chef and Wine Educator for HALL Wines.