Demystifying Wine & Food | Wild Mushroom Soup with Madeira & Toasted Hazelnuts
Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free
List of Ingredients
3 Tbs. hazelnut oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbs. blanched hazelnuts, toasted* and roughly chopped
3 Tbs. parsley, finely chopped
12 oz. cremini or other mixed wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 Tbs. Madeira (medium-dry preferred)
4 cups vegetable stock (gluten free)
1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- Heat hazelnut oil in a large saucepot and add the onion and garlic. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until onions and garlic are soft.
- Add half of the parsley and all of the cremini mushrooms to the saucepan, and turn the heat up to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the Madeira to the pan and cook until it evaporates.
- Add the vegetable stock and the dried porcini mushrooms. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the dried porcini mushrooms have softened.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender, along with half of the hazelnuts, and blend until smooth. Then, stir the blended soup back into the pot and heat through.
- Ladle the soup into warmed serving bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and hazelnuts.
*Toast hazelnuts at 325°F for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Corrie Beezley, Chef, Wine Educator for HALL Wines.