Our Responsibility to the Environment and Our Community
Environmental Responsibility in Our Vineyards
• HALL believes that the health of our environment is essential when crafting the finest wine possible. We will make every effort in our vineyard management to ensure the health of our ecosystems.
• HALL uses only natural products for weed and pest control with careful attention to the natural health and biodiversity in the soil.
• HALL vineyards are now certified organic.
• HALL implements fish-friendly farming practices in compliance with the rigorous standards of state and federal water quality laws (Clean Water Act), the federal Endangered Species Act, the state fish and game code as well as local regulations.
• HALL plants cover crops in all of our vineyards to minimize erosion and sedimentation of local waterways.
• HALL has incorporated the use of 50% bio-diesel fuel in our farming operations to reduce our overall carbon emissions.
Environmental Responsibility in Our General Operations
• We ship our direct-to-consumer wine in recyclable and/or recycled packaging.
• We recycle our office waste and print on recycled paper when possible.
• We use recycled water for all landscaping and vineyard irrigation on the property.
Environmental Responsiblity in Our New Winery Complex and Tasting Room
• Our new HALL St. Helena Winery incorporates all structural requirements to qualify for the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Green Building Rating System. Our winery is the first in California to earn LEED Gold Certification™.
LEED promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection, and indoor environmental quality.
• Our new construction reduces erosion, sedimentation, and storm-water flows through the use of detention basins on the site.
• All of our new building designs reduce light pollution and solar reflectivity.
• We have reduced overall water use on our property by incorporating water efficient plant materials in the landscaping design.
• An acre of solar photovoltaic cells (solar power) have been installed and other strategic design features have dramatically reduced the overall energy use of our operations.
• We used local materials, recycled materials, as well as recycling the materials from the existing facility as we proceeded through construction.
Environmental Responsibility in Our Internal Spaces
• Our buildings have been designed to incorporate both natural lighting and a comprehensive ventilation and air quality program for the winery buildings.
• Paints, adhesives, carpets, and other materials were used in the construction to meet criteria for low vapor emissions.
• All lighting and HVAC systems were designed with flexibility and controls to optimize employee and visitor comfort.
Social Responsibility in Our Community and Beyond
Craig and Kathryn Hall share a vision for a just and sustainable world and have created a unique business environment that combines financial success with social responsibility. A portion of all business profits is donated to charity via the Craig and Kathryn Hall Foundation. In addition, HALL Wines serves as a very active member of the local community of philanthropic vintners, contributing to vital social welfare charities in Napa County.