Maple Vanilla Ice Cream
3-2-1 PIE DOUGH12 ounces all-purpose flour
8 ounces cold butter, cubed
4 ounces ice-cold water
A pinch of salt
PECAN PIE FILLING2 cups pecans
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs, beaten
MAPLE VANILLA ICE CREAM1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 large egg yolks
- For a simple pie dough, add 3 parts (12 ounces) flour and 2 parts (8 ounces) cold butter to a food processer, along with a pinch of salt. Pulse until the butter has broken up into pea-sized balls. Slowly add the 1 part (4 ounces) of ice-cold water until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, for the pie, roast the pecans on a baking sheet for approximately 8 minutes at 350 degrees. In a saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, syrup and salt and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in nuts, bourbon and vanilla. Cool, then whisk in eggs until smooth.
- Roll out the pie dough and place in a pie plate. Add the filling and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, until pie sets.
- For the ice cream, bring cream, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and maple syrup to simmer in medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Temper the eggs by pouring 1⁄2 cup of the cream mixture to the yolks, whisking constantly. Return the yolks to cream mixture and stir over medium-low heat until custard has a consistency that coats the back of a spoon, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately transfer custard to a bowl. Stir in vanilla extract. Chill.
- Process custard in ice cream maker. Transfer to cold container. Cover and freeze.
- Serve a slice of pie with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy.