Pickled Deviled Eggs
Beet-Pickled Eggs, Herb Filling, Pickled Vegetables
6 large eggs
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
1 large red beet, quartered
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons finely chopped fines herbs (parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil)
1 small red onion, julienne
1 chioggia beet, brunoise
1 carrot, fine julienne
salt and pepper, to taste
- Place eggs in a pot, covered in cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat 6 minutes after boiling begins. Run under cold water and peel as soon as the eggs are cool enough to touch.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil with the vinegar, sugar and cardamom seeds. Remove from heat.
- Pour half of the pickling liquid over the eggs. Add the large red beet. Let sit for 3 hours.
- Divide the remaining pickling liquid into three bowls. Add the red onion to one bowl, the beet to another, and the carrot to the third bowl. Let sit for 1 hour.
- After the eggs have pickled, cut them in half lengthwise and remove the yolks.
- In a large bowl, combine the yolks with the mayonnaise and fines herbs. Mix to the desired consistency. Season to taste.
- Put the yolk mixture in a re-sealable plastic bag. Cut off one corner and squeeze into the hollowed egg whites.
- Garnish with pickled vegetables.