Firm Polenta, Burnt Lemon, Fennel, Basil Vinaigrette
Ingredients for Polenta
6 Cups Milk
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ Teaspoons dried thyme
1 Teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups medium or coarse ground yellow cornmeal
- Mix all ingredients except for the polenta and bring to a simmer.
- Slowly add polenta and mix until the mixture starts to thicken (3-4 mins).
- Grease a baking sheet, pour on the polenta and let cool.
- Once cool, cut the desired shape for the cake and grill.
Ingredients for Calamari
1 Pound squid, cleaned, cut into 3/4-inch-thick rings, tentacles left whole
1 Tablespoon Canola oil
1ea Fennel bulb julienne
1 Tablespoon coarsely chopped Italian parsley leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat a pan to white hot and oil is smoking.
- Add a lemon wedge to hot oil and let burn on the pan.
- Add the calamari in small batches cooking for a short period of time.
- Add the fennel and let cook for 1 minute
Ingredients for Basil Vinaigrette
1 Cup fresh basil
1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ Teaspoon red onion
1 Tablespoon sugar
¼ Cup white wine vin
¾ Cup olive oil
- Add all ingredients to a food processor except for oil.
- Start the food processor and slowly drizzle in the oil.
- Season to taste.