Smoked Salmon with beet chips, horseradish and cumin
Serves 6-8 | Prep Time 20 min. | Cook Time 30 min.
This dish goes perfectly with our WALT La Brisa Pinot Noir
1 lb. wild salmon
½ c. salt
½ c. sugar
½ bu. Fresh thyme
½ t. fennel seed, toasted
1 t. cumin seed, toasted
2 ea. baby beets, sliced 1/8”
1 t. olive oil
2 T. horseradish
¼ c. greek yogurt
½ t. marjoram, chopped
Lemon zest, to taste
4 slices rye bread, toasted
- Combine salt, sugar, fennel, cumin and fresh thyme. Spread evenly over the flesh of the salmon. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then foil and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 36 hours.
- Combine, horseradish with yogurt and chopped marjoram. Season lemon zest, salt and pepper. Set aside for 4 hours at the least.
- To make beet chips, gently toss sliced beets in olive oil and place and a cooling rack and place in 225˚ oven and cook until crispy, approximately 45 minutes.
- To smoke salmon, place a pan full of ice on top of rack and place rinsed salmon on a piece of foil on top of ice. Gently smoke over fruit wood for 45-60 minutes.
- To serve: thinly slice salmon against the grain, and place on top of toast. Top salmon with horseradish yogurt and beet chip. Garnish with marjoram leaves.