Lemon Verbena Ice Cream
Candied Lemon Peel
Ingredients for Lemon Verbena Ice Cream
1 Cup heavy whipping cream
1 Cup whole milk
¾ Cup sugar
¾ Cup fresh lemon verbena leaves
7 large egg yolks
- Bring cream, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon verbena to simmer in medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; cover and let steep 2 hours.
- Whisk yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Bring the cream mixture to simmer. Strain hot cream mixture and gradually whisk into yolk mixture allowing the two to temper. Return custard to same saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard is nape consistency, 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately transfer custard to a bowl. Chill until cold.
- Process custard in ice cream maker. Transfer to cold container. Cover and freeze.
Ingredients for Candied Lemon Peel
2 ea Lemons
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup water
- Peel and julienne a lemon.
- Boil the peels several times in a pot changing the water throughout.
- Make a simple syrup using the sugar and water in a 1:1 ratio.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and add the lemon peel.
- Let boil until the peel is translucent and the syrup is reduced.
- Let cool/drain on a wire rack.
- Dust with sugar.