Bacon and Fig Marmalade served on crostini
Serves 8 | Prep time 30 min. | Cook time approx. 45 min
This dish goes perfectly with our HALL Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
1 lb. fresh figs, chopped
¼ lb. bacon, diced
1 ea. Yellow onion, diced
2 t. fresh ginger, grated
1 T. honey
1 c. red wine
2 T. balsamic vinegar
Sachet of cloves, bay leaf, fresh thyme, star anise
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add bacon and render until crispy. Remove bacon and reserve for later. Reserve 1t. of bacon fat.
2. Sweat onion and ginger in bacon fat until translucent.
3. Add figs, and slowly caramelize over medium high heat. Add honey, red wine, balsamic vinegar and sachet of spice. Turn heat to low and slowly reduce mixture until a jam like consistency.
4. Transfer half of the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add this to the rest of the mixture and fold in crispy bacon.
5. Serve at room temperature on a crostini. Garnish with fresh tarragon and thyme.