Herbed Risotto Cakes with Porcini Foam and Pinot Black Pepper Gastrique
Ingredients For The Gastrique & Foam
½ cup Pinot Noir
1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
¾ cup Sugar
1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
2 cups Heavy Cream
2 tbsp Porcini Powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Place the Pinot Noir, vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt into a saucepan over high heat. Cook stirring often, until the liquid has reduced by about 30-40% and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Place the porcini powder and cream, along with a little salt & pepper, into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and place into a whipping canister along with a charger.
Ingredients For The Risotto Cakes
1 cup Dry White Wine
3 ¼ cups Mushroom Stock
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 ½ cups Arborio Rice, rinsed and dried
½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 tbsp Thyme, minced
3 tbsp Parsley, minced
3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Bring the wine to a simmer in a medium sauce pan for 5-7 minutes. Add the stock and bring to just below a simmer. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting to keep the liquid warm, but not simmering.
- Heat the 2 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the rice and sauté until well coated with the oil and lightly toasted (about 2-3 minutes); reduce heat to medium/med-low.
- About ½ cup or so at a time add the stock mixture to the rice, stirring often; waiting until it is almost totally absorbed before adding the next ladle-full. Continue until all the stock mixture is incorporated and the rice is creamy, but not runny.
- Stir in parmesan and herb. Spread out onto a parchment lined sheet tray and place into the refrigerator of at least 2 hours until completely cooled and set.
- Remove from the refrigerator and cut into individual portions.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat, and in batches add a little olive oil and brown both sides of each risotto portion. Remove to a cooling rack.