Double Dark Chocolate Decadence Cake with Almond Buttercream & Cabernet Stewed Cherries
Ingredients For The Cake
1 ½ cups Sugar
1 cup Butter, softened
4 large Eggs
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Cocoa Powder
¼ tsp Salt
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and parchment line two 9 inch cake pans.
- In a stand mixer cream together the sugar and butter for a couple minutes. Whip in the oil, and then the eggs (one at a time) until fully incorporated.
- Shift together baking powder, flour, cocoa powder, and salt. In batches and alternating with the sour cream, add in some of the dry ingredients to the mixer and whip until just incorporated. Repeat until all the dries and sour cream have been fully incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and place into the oven for about 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean from the center). Remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack. Let cool for about 10-25 minutes before removing from the pans.
Ingredients For the Buttercream & the Cherries
1 lb Butter, softened
2 lbs Powdered Sugar, sifted
1 ½ tbsp Almond Extract
1 cup Dried Cherries
2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
½ cup Sugar
Mint Leaves, for garnish
- Place the butter into a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and cream for a couple minutes (scrapping the bowl down as necessary).
- In batches, add in some of the powdered sugar and whip until smooth (scrapping the bowl down as necessary). Continue until all of the powdered sugar is incorporated. Whip in almond extract until fully incorporated.
- Place the cherries, Cabernet Sauvignon, and sugar in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook until the cherries have plumped and the liquid has reduce by about half.
- Ice the cake with the buttercream; cut and serve along with some cabernet cherries and garnish with mint.